As the seasons shift and the weather gradually alters, why shouldn’t your look? Makeup has the ability to transform your appearance, and with that in mind, change can be seen as a thrilling opportunity for expression. Embrace the changing of the seasons, and allow us to show you how to easily transition your look with the help of seasonal makeup.
1. Prep Your Skin: Mastering the Basics of Seasonal Makeup Transitions
Making the switch from one season to another is an exciting time! With new trends and products, there’s plenty of room to experiment and create something totally different. But, you can’t forget about the basics when it comes to successful makeup application. Prepping your skin is the number one way to ensure that you look your absolute best – no matter the season.
Choose The Right Cleanser
Choosing the right cleanser for your skin type is essential for getting off on the right foot. Harsh cleansers can strip your skin of essential oils, leaving you with a dry and dull complexion. Take your adventurous makeup trips with a clean canvas using a cleanser that caters to your specific skin type.
Exfoliate To Keep Skin Fresh
If your foundation and concealers aren’t applying smoothly, you may be dealing with dry or flaky skin. The change in season can require a totally different approach to exfoliation. Summer months can mean a gentler exfoliating product, while more exfoliating power is necessary during winter months. Gentle exfoliation will work away dead skin cells to leave you with a bright and smooth complexion.
- Oil-based cleansers may be great for dry skin
- Lactic acid, glycolic acid, or salicylic acid are great for exfoliating
- Try exfoliating during dry months, and moisturize during humid months
Nothing looks as good as dewy skin! Keeping skin hydrated should be a priority all year round. You don’t need to apply a layer of moisturizer, oil, and cream during the winter months. In the summer, look for lightweight oil-free moisturizers to avoid clogging the pores. Applying serums and facial oils are great for keeping skin plump and hydrated all year round.
2. Celebrate the Seasons with Season-Appropriate Makeup Colors
It’s not only fashionable looks but also the colors of makeup you create that symbolize the season. With the right colors to complement the time of year, you can bring out your inner beauty and have fun with your makeup.
- Summer: Give off a natural glow this summer with light coral colors. This is best observed when selecting lipstick and blush colors. To make those colors really stand out, pair them with a natural shade of eyeshadow and some deep brown eyeliner.
- Autumn: Add some color to your cheeks this fall with warm tones of rust and taupe. When it comes to eye shadows, accentuate your colors with shades of copper and deep orange. line eyes with black eyeliner to match with lip colorings for a romantic evening.
- Winter: Winter comes with a hue of pale pink and winter cream. Try pairing pinks and browns on the eyes, and use a dab of pink for a hint of color on the lips. To make a statement, paint on a deep burgundy eyeliner on both your upper and lower lids.
- Spring: Celebrate the season of spring with light pastels! Line your eyes with a faded purple eyeliner, and opt for shades of lavender, pink and bright yellow eyeshadow. Let your lips stand out with a pop of pink, or keep it natural with a hint of shimmer.
Bring out the essence of each season and find the perfect makeup colors that allow you to express yourself and flaunt your unique style in the process. Spice up your makeup for the different seasons and discover what matches your personality. With season-appropriate makeup colors, your beauty will be in sync with nature all year long.
3. Tips & Tricks for An Effortless Makeup Transition Through the Year
Preparing Your Skin for the Season
As the seasons change, so should your skin care routine. Make sure your skin is prepped to go with the flow year round by consistently using a moisturizer that hydrates it and removing all traces of makeup before bedtime. Consider adopting a natural routine of occasional exfoliation and toning that works with the changing elements of the calendar.
Time to Change Your Makeup Routine
Transitioning your makeup routine is more than decking it up by seasons. The colors that look good in winter may not look as good in summer. Therefore, switch your palette to suit the temperature and time of the year. Warmer shades like coral and bronze can add a refreshing summer sheen, while deep berry tones can give a subtly bold winter pop. Playing around with the shades is an easy way to make your makeup look put together through every season.
Tricks of the Trade
For effortless makeup all year long, first keep handy all the essentials: a face mist, a quality moisturizer, and a highlighter. Now, here are some additional tips:
- Protect your skin and enhance your look – SPF is an everyday-of-the-year, all-weather must.
- Mix up colors and textures with your makeup – Starting from mousse, liquid, powder, balm and crème, you can try various textures to keep your look interesting.
- Stay hydrated during any season – Drink plenty of water and zap the heat with a hydrating mist spritz.
The trick to achieving the perfect transition between seasons gracefully is to embrace the changing elements and tailor your skin care and makeup routine to the season.
4. How to Make the Most of the Weather & Light in Your Makeup Look
Makeup isn’t just about making yourself look good – it’s also about making the most of your features and the conditions you’re in. Whether you’re indoors or out, hot or cold, sunny or raining, understanding how to adjust your makeup to make the most of the weather and light is key to maximizing your look.
Choose Color Wisely: The type of lighting you’re running with will affect how your makeup looks. Natural light can wash out your colors while, electric light brings out richer, warmer tones. Be sure to pick soft, natural looking makeup for the day and experiment with brighter colors for the night. To make the most out of every light condition, it’s always a good idea to carry a variety of lipstick shades in your purse.
Go Light or Matte: If you’re outdoors in an extremely hot environment, a dewy moisturizer can help keep your skin looking fresh. A matte finish is better suited for those who are constantly running between locations, as it can absorb oil and control excess sweat. If the temperatures drop, add a few drops of face oil to help keep your skin hydrated.
Don’t Forget Sun Protection: Spending a lot of time outdoors? Don’t forget to protect your skin with a quality sunscreen. Choose one that has a high SPF and apply regularly to avoid sun damage.
Make Use of the Sun: If you’re lucky enough to be out in the sunlight, make the most of it! Take advantage of its warm, golden light to bring out your best features. Use bronzer to the cheeks, nose, forehead, and chin for a sun-kissed look. Further, complement the sunny outdoor lighting by adding a few coats of mascara to give your eyes that extra spark.
So, go on and make this season a fashionable one! Try out some new looks and keep in mind the advice we shared here: keep your essentials handy, assess which trends work for you and your lifestyle, and don’t forget to have fun while you DO the changing of the guard with your makeup bag. Seasonal makeup transitions don’t have to be hard—they can be exciting!